Alexandria Archaeological Commission Calls for Nominations of Threatened and Endangered Archaeological and Historical Sites in Alexandria
The Alexandria Archaeological Commission, in partnership with other historic and preservation groups in Alexandria, is seeking nominations from the public for the most threatened or endangered archaeological and historical sites in the city of Alexandria. Nominations are being sought to highlight the potential loss or degradation of archaeological and historical sites important to the city’s identity and cultural heritage.
Nominated sites can include archaeological sites, historic buildings (interior or exterior), historic neighborhoods or communities, historic vistas, historic fabric, alleys, streetscapes, landscapes, waterways, and cemeteries, among others. Such sites may represent any time period or aspect of Alexandria’s heritage, both historic and pre-historic.
- Nominations must be in writing, via email or mail, and may include supporting materials such as photographs and newspaper articles.
- Nominations should include the name of the site, if known, and its location as well as the reason(s) why the site is threatened or endangered and why the site is an important part of Alexandria’s heritage.
- Nominations must be received (if hand-delivered or emailed) or postmarked (if mailed) by Wednesday, July 15.
- Nominations are made on an annual basis. The determination of eligibility of a nominated site and the selection of nominated sites to a list of Alexandria’s Most Threatened and Endangered Archaeological and Historical Sites remain the sole view and discretion of the Alexandria Archaeological Commission and its partnership groups.
- The Alexandria Archaeological Commission and partnership groups will announce the annual list of Alexandria’s Most Threatened and Endangered Archaeological and Historical Sites during Virginia Archaeology Month in October of each year.
Nominations may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line should read, “Threatened and Endangered Sites Nomination”
Nominations may be mailed or hand-delivered to
Alexandria Archaeological Commission
105 N. Union Street, # 327
Alexandria, VA 22314