City of Alexandria Announces Schedule of Services for the 2015 Labor Day Holiday, September 7
For Immediate Release: September 1, 2015
All City of Alexandria government offices will be closed on Monday, September 7, in observance of the Labor Day holiday.
- Resource Recovery: Residential trash and recycling will not be collected on September 7. Scheduled collections will be delayed by one day during the week of September 7. The Household Hazardous Waste and Electronics Collections Drop-Off Center will be closed on September 7.
- Animal Shelter: On September 7, the Vola Lawson Animal Shelter will be open from noon to 5 p.m.
- Health Facilities: The Alexandria Health Department (4480 King St.), the Flora Krause Casey Health Center (1200 N. Howard St.) and the Teen Wellness Center at T.C. Williams High School (3330 King St.) will be closed on September 7.
- Historic Alexandria: On Monday, September 7, The Lyceum will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Gadsby’s Tavern Museum and the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum will be open from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. All other Office of Historic Alexandria museums and facilities will be closed.
- Hotlines: All emergency hotlines operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including the child protective services hotline at 703.746.5800; the domestic violence hotline at 703.746.4911; the emergency services for mental health or substance abuse crisis hotline at 703.746.3401; and the sexual assault hotline at 703.683.7273.
- Libraries: All Alexandria Library branches will be closed on September 7.
- Parking: The Alexandria Police Department will suspend enforcement of parking restrictions at metered spaces and residential permit parking districts on September 7. This suspension of enforcement applies only to the restrictions at legal parking spaces, and does not permit parking in any location normally prohibited (for example, no parking zones, loading zones, or spaces for persons with disabilities).
- Pools: City Pools will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on September 7.
- Recreation Centers: On September 7, the Chinquapin Park Recreation Center will be open from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Charles Houston Recreation Center will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. All other recreation facilities will be closed.
- State Offices: Commonwealth of Virginia offices located in Alexandria will be closed on September 7, including the Circuit, General District, and the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts in the Alexandria Courthouse (520 King St.) and the Department of Motor Department of Motor Vehicles Office at 2681 Mill Road.
- Transit: On September 7, Alexandria Transit Company’s DASH bus service will operate on a Sunday schedule. The King Street Trolley will operate on its normal schedule, every 15 minutes between the King Street Metrorail Station and the Potomac River waterfront, from 10 a.m. to 10:15 p.m.