City of Alexandria Announces Schedule of Services for Columbus Day, October 12
For Immediate Release: October 8, 2015
All City of Alexandria government offices will be closed on Monday, October 12, in observance of the Columbus Day holiday.
- Resource Recovery: Residential refuse and recycling will not be collected on October 12. Collection services will be delayed by one day during the week of October 12. The Household Hazardous Waste and Electronics Collections Drop-off Center will be closed on October 12.
- Animal Shelter:The Vola Lawson Animal Shelter will be open on October 12 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Health Facilities:The Alexandria Health Department (4480 King St.); the Flora Krause Casey Health Center (1200 N. Howard St.); and the Teen Wellness Center at T.C. Williams High School (3330 King St.) will be closed on October 12.
- Historic Alexandria:The Gadsby’s Tavern and Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museums will be open from 1 p.m to 5 p.m. The Lyceum and the Historic Alexandria Store will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. All other museums will be closed on October 12. More information at alexandriava.gov/historic.
- Hotlines: All emergency hotlines operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including the child protective services hotline at 703.746.5800; the domestic violence hotline at 703.746.4911; the emergency services for mental health or substance abuse crisis hotline at 703.746.3401; the adult protective services hotline at 1.888.832.3858 and the sexual assault hotline at 703.683.7273.
- Libraries:All Alexandria Library branches will be closed on October 12.
- Parking:The Alexandria Police Department will suspend enforcement of parking restrictions at metered spaces and residential permit parking districts on October 12. This suspension of enforcement applies only to the restrictions at legal parking spaces, and does not permit parking in any location normally prohibited (for example, no parking zones, loading zones, or spaces for persons with disabilities).
- Recreation Centers:Chinquapin Park Recreation Center will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Charles Houston Recreation Center, will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. All other City recreation centers will be closed on October 12.
- State Offices:The following Commonwealth of Virginia offices located in Alexandria will be closed on October 12: the Circuit, General District, and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts in the Alexandria Courthouse at 520 King St., and the Department of Motor Vehicles Office at 2681 Mill Rd.
- Transit:Alexandria Transit Company’s DASH bus service will operate on a Saturday schedule on October 12. The King Street Trolley will operate on its normal schedule, every 15 minutes between the King Street Metrorail Station and the Potomac River waterfront, from 10 a.m. to 10:15 p.m.
For more information, contact Melissa Riddy, Communications Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 703.746.3961.