Deadline to Register and Update Virginia Voter Registration: Tuesday, October 13
For Immediate Release: October 9, 2015
The legal deadline to register to vote in the November 3 General Election is Tuesday, October 13. In Alexandria, the November 3 election will include contests for Virginia State Senate and House of Delegates, and Alexandria Mayor, City Council and School Board.
The Alexandria Office of Voter Registration and Elections offers the following voter registration methods:
- Submit the application online at https://www.vote.virginia.gov before midnight on October 13.
- Register in person at the Office of Voter Registration and Elections, 132 North Royal Street, Suite 100 prior to 5 p.m. on October 13.
- Download an application at alexandriava.gov/Elections then print, sign and mail the completed form to the Office of Voter Registration, 132 North Royal Street, Suite 100, Alexandria, VA 22314. Applications must be postmarked on or before October 13.
The same deadlines are in effect for Virginia voters who are registered, but have moved within the City of Alexandria, or Virginia. Voters who do not update their registration records before the deadline are at risk of being ineligible to vote in this election.
Voter information cards for new or transferred registrants will be mailed within one week of the registration date.
Virginia registered voters who need to update their addresses may do so using any of the methods listed above, or by the following:
- Complete the form on the back of their old Voter Information Card card and mail or fax it to the Office of Voter Registration and Elections, 703.838.6449 (fax) prior to 5 p.m. on October 13.
- Complete a new voter registration application and fax it to the Office of Voter Registration and Elections, 703.838.6449 (fax) before 5 p.m. on October 13.
Alexandria voters who are not certain if they are registered at their current address may go to alexandriava.gov/Elections and look for “Am I Registered & Where do I Vote?” under the Voter Registration links. Voters may also call the Office of Voter Registration and Elections at 703.746.4050.
Voter Photo ID Requirements and Other Election Information
Virginians who are registered to vote must show photo identification when voting. Check alexandriava.gov/Elections or call 703.746.4050 for a list of acceptable photo ID and other election information, including sample ballots and in-person absentee voting hours.
For more information, contact Anna Leider, General Registrar, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.4050.