The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will close multiple lanes on I-395 North at Seminary Road and stop all traffic for intermittent periods of up to 20-minutes during overnight hours on Friday, Dec. 18 until approximately 9 a.m., Saturday morning, Dec. 19. Closures are needed to allow safe placement of a steel beam for the pedestrian bridge that is under construction. Motorists are advised to expect delays or take alternate routes, if possible.
- On Friday night at 9:30 p.m., one lane will close on I-395 North
- At 10:30 p.m., a second lane will close on I-395 North
- One lane of traffic will remain open until after midnight, but will close for intermittent periods of up to 20-minutes
- Thru-traffic heading to Arlington and Washington, D.C. will have access to the northern section of the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes, just north of Edsall Road, at 9 p.m.
- Local travel on Seminary Road and North Van Dorn Street will be temporarily impacted (Click here for local road closures and detour routes)
- All lanes will reopen by no later than 9 a.m. on Saturday morning
Roadway signs will be posted in advance to alert drivers of the closures and detours. Work is weather dependent and will take place on Saturday night, Dec. 19, if inclement weather occurs.
Two 175-feet, 100-ton girders are being erected for a new pedestrian bridge over I-395. Other elements of this project include an auxiliary lane on northbound I-395 between Duke Street and Seminary Road, and a new I-395 high occupancy vehicle (HOV) ramp to Seminary Road. The overall project is scheduled to open in mid- to late-January 2016.
On the surrounding streets, the following detours will be in effect for pedestrian bridge girder erection:
Westbound Seminary Rd. traffic heading to I-395 North will:
– Continue Westbound on Seminary Rd. over I-395
– Follow detour to N .Beauregard St. to King St. to I-395 North
Eastbound Seminary Rd. Rotary Level traffic heading to I-395 North will:
– Proceed onto Seminary Rd. Eastbound,
– Turn left at Library Ln., follow signs to Kenmore Ave., take N. Van Dorn St. northbound to King St. West and follow signs to I-395 North
Northbound lanes on N. Van Dorn St. will be closed at Seminary Rd. Traffic will be directed to:
– Turn right on Kenmore Ave.
– Right on Seminary Rd.
– Left on Library Ln.
– Follow signs to Kenmore Ave. to N. Van Dorn St.
Southbound lanes on N. Van Dorn St. will be closed at Seminary Rd. Traffic will be directed to:
– Turn left at Kenmore Ave.
– Turn right on to Seminary Rd. West over I-395
– Turn left at N. Beauregard St.
– Turn left at Sanger Ave. back to N. Van Dorn St.
More information about the project is available at http://virginiadot.org/projects/northernvirginia/i-395_hov-transit_ramp.asp