Alexandria City Public Schools is seeking nominations for the The Harry Burke Awards & Anne Lipnick Inclusion for All Awards. This is a great opportunity for parents and fellow educators to acknowledge and honor the work both of outstanding special educators and of general education teachers whose classroom practices exemplify true inclusion.
If you feel that a teacher has gone above and beyond and made a significant difference in the education of a child with a disability, please consider nominating that person for the award. Nominations are DUE APRIL 8, 2016.
Nominees must be full-time teachers or paraprofessionals (pre-school through grade 12) with Alexandria City Public Schools. Previous winners are not eligible.
Nominees must be teachers or paraprofessionals who demonstrate:
- Excellence in performance of duties
- Achievements with a positive impact on students in special education
- Superior understanding of the individual needs and abilities of students
- An ability to foster self-esteem and inspire achievement
- An ability to involve parents in the special education of their children
All Nomination Packets MUST Include the Following:
- Nomination Cover Page: Signature of School-Base Administrator is required on Nomination Cover Page.
- Principal support letter – required
- At least 2 of the following:
- Parent support letters
- Student support letters, art work, photos or other documents
- Colleague/Peer support letters
- Photos, previous awards, etc.
- Support letters may include the following:
- Description of how the teacher or paraprofessional meets the qualities of the nomination
- Information providing firsthand observations of how/why the nominee deserves recognition
- Nomination letters for these individuals should be sent to the nominee as recognition.
Entries should be sent to:
Harry Burke and Anne Lipnick Awards
Attn: Brenda Hopkins
Office of Specialized Instruction
Alexandria City Public Schools
1340 Braddock Place, Suite 420
Alexandria, VA 22314
The 30th Annual Harry Burke Outstanding Achievement & Anne Lipnick Inclusion for All Awards will be held on May 19, 2016.