Advisory Group Seeks Public Input on Old Town North Small Area Plan Update
For Immediate Release: June 16, 2016
The Old Town North Small Area Plan Update Advisory Group will host a charrette from June 23 to 25 to develop a preliminary draft illustrative design and draft policy narratives for the plan update. A charrette is an intensive, focused set of workshops where residents, designers, property owners, developers, public officials, City staff, and other stakeholders work together to create a plan for the community’s future. The charrette will be held at 66 Canal Center Plaza (second floor), according to the schedule below.
The event will launch on Thursday, June 23, with a panel discussion on Place-Making Through Innovation Districts and Creative Uses, which will include participants from The Brookings Institution, Johns Hopkins University and other invited guests. On Friday and Saturday, June 24 and 25, workshops will focus on planning categories such as Infrastructure and Environmental Sustainability, Transportation, Economic Development and Historic Preservation. Ideas and designs generated from each day’s activity will be presented to the community on Friday and Saturday evening for review and discussion.
All members of the community are encouraged to attend and participate at any time during these three days. The general schedule is as follows:
Thursday, June 23
- 5 – 7 p.m.
- Open House and Overview of Mini-Charrette
- 7 – 9 p.m.
- Old Town North Panel Discussion: Place-Making Through Innovation Districts and Creative Uses (Panel members include Scott Andes, Senior Policy Analyst and Associate at The Brookings Institution; David McDonough, Assistant Director, Facilities and Real Estate Department, Johns Hopkins University; and other invited guests.)
Friday, June 24
- 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Workshops and Studios (Topics will focus on multiple planning categories. See website for more details.)
- 7 – 8:30 p.m.
- Community Meeting* (Designs and ideas generated from the day’s activity will be presented to the community for review and input.)
Saturday, June 25
- 8 a.m. – noon
- Open House (No workshops/studios)
- 1 – 3:30 p.m.
- Workshops and Studios (Topics will focus on potential draft zoning and regulatory tools and draft policies for planning categories.)
- 4:30 – 6 p.m.
- Community Meeting and Closing Reception* (Preliminary policies by planning category and a draft illustrative design will be presented for further community input.)
- 6 p.m.
- Montgomery Park Community Event Sponsored by Recreation,Parks and Cultural Activities
- Mobile Art Lab presents Silent Disco
*Child care will be provided during these community meetings. Free parking is available after 6:30 p.m. on the parking plaza behind 801 N. Fairfax St.
For details about the charrette schedule, or background on the planning process please visit the Old Town North Small Area Plan Update website
For media inquiries, contact Andrea Blackford, Senior Communications Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.3959.
# # #