The City of Alexandria will celebrate its 267th and the USA’s 240th birthday on Saturday, July 9, from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., at Oronoco Bay Park, 100 Madison St., (located at the Potomac River between Fairfax, Pendleton, and Madison Streets). In the event of inclement weather, fireworks only will be rescheduled for Sunday, July 10, at 9:30 p.m. Admission is free.
The evening will kick off with a performance by B2B Band, a Jimmy Buffet tribute band, playing cover and original songs. Next to perform is the U. S. Army Band Downrange, part of the U. S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” featuring popular music with a repertoire of rock, pop, country, R & B, and inspirational signature patriotic arrangements. The main event features the Alexandria Symphony Orchestra with Guest Conductor Victoria Gau presenting an explosive night of fun and fanfare.
A list of scheduled activities follows.
- 5 p.m. – Performance by B2B Band; Refreshment Sales
- 6 p.m. – Performance by Downrange from the U. S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own”
- 7:30 p.m. – The Town Crier Announces Mayor Allison Silberberg and poetry reading by Amy Young, Guest Poet Laureate; Acknowledgements
- 8 p.m. – Distribution of Birthday Cake by the Mayor and members of City Council
- 8:30 p.m. – Performance by the Alexandria Symphony Orchestra, Victoria Gau, Guest Conductor
- 9:30 p.m. – Grand Finale fireworks display, featuring Tchaikovsky’s “1812 Overture” with cannon support by the Presidential Salute Battery of the 3d United States Infantry Regiment (“The Old Guard”), Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, Virginia
Oronoco Bay Park has lawn seating, and participants are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and blankets. Ice cream, hot dogs, fried rice, grilled cheese, pizza, barbeque, shaved ice, kettle corn and other treats will be available for purchase, but everyone is welcome to pack a picnic supper. No grilling is allowed during the event. Please leave pets at home and be mindful of your neighbors by refraining from smoking at this event.
Visitors to the historic district are encouraged to take public transit.
- For Metrobus and Metrorail schedule information, call 202.637.7000 or visit www.wmata.com.
- The King Street Trolley will also operate on an extended schedule with the last trolley departing lower King Street at 11:45 p.m.
- For DASH schedule information, call 703.746.DASH or visit www.dashbus.com.
In addition to regular parking garages and metered parking, parking is available for a special flat rate of $5 at Simpson Properties Garage, 700 North Fairfax St., and American Real Estate Partners, 44 Canal Center Plaza.
For additional information, call the Special Events Hotline at 703.746.5592.
The City of Alexandria is committed to compliance with the City’s Human Rights Code and the Americans with Disabilities Act. To request a reasonable accommodation or to request materials in an alternative format, call Cheryl Lawrence at 703.746.5419 (VA Relay 711), or e-mail email@example.com.