(The Alexandria home photos pictured are not the homes included on the tour but rather a sampling of great homes around the Old Town area provided by Old Town Post)
The below mentioned details concerning the 75th Annual Alexandria Historic Homes Tour was taken from the thetwig.org website. The Twig, a non-profit organization, hosts the annual tour. All proceeds benefit Inova Alexandria Hospital.
The 75th Annual Diamond Jubilee Homes Tour will be held on September 24 from 10 am to 3 pm.
Tickets are $40 online in advance (see link below). Tickets may also be purchased at the Twig Shop, 106 N. Columbus St. or the Ramsey House Visitors Center at 221 King Street. Tickets are $45 on the day of the tour so buy early and save!
We want to thank our generous sponsors for making the Homes Tour possible and for their commitment to support the 75th Annual Historic Alexandria Homes Tour and Inova Alexandria Hospital:
Tour Sponsor: Hadeed In-Home & Office Cleaning Services
Home Sponsors: Fidelity Investments, Villas and Voyages, Donnan C. Wintermute Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, King’s Jewelry and The Golubin Group TTR – Sotheby’s International Realty
Contact email@example.com with questions.
This year’s 75th Diamond Jubilee tour features six unique homes and gardens. One house, with 13-foot ceilings and light-filled rooms showcasing antique furnishings, was built circa 1852 and even then was considered “commodious in its plan and arrangements.” The original structure of another tour house was assessed in 1796 for $500! Now a large house and expansive garden gracefully dominate the block and there is an interesting history of prominent owners, re-purposing for commercial use, then a conversion back to its former residential glory. Each home on the tour has its own special story, architectural details and distinctive furnishings. Not to be missed!
About The Twig
The Twig is the Junior Auxiliary of Inova Alexandria Hospital–an organization of women dedicated to providing financial aid, volunteer service, and support to Alexandria Hospital–itself originally established by volunteers.
For the city’s first hundred years, physicians cared for their patients at home or in their offices. After the Civil War, however, when an outbreak of typhoid fever occurred on board a ship in the harbor, several sailors were brought to the home of a local doctor. Answering a plea for assistance, Miss Julia Johns, daughter of the Episcopal Bishop of Alexandria, called together a group of concerned women to “form a society to establish and control a hospital for the sick.”
After this small group of “charitably disposed friends” met in 1872, the Alexandria Infirmary opened its doors in a converted house on the southwest corner of Duke and Fairfax Streets. Miss Johns and the Board of Lady Managers continued to oversee the operation of the hospital, establishing a Nurses Training School, dispensary, surgery, and horse-drawn ambulance service. These first “volunteers” set the precedent for Alexandrians to rise to the responsibility of supporting and operating a community hospital.
In 1933, a group of twenty-four young women gathered at the home of Mrs. Julian T. Burke to form the Junior Auxiliary of the Alexandria Hospital. They took the name “The Twig” from a contest entry by Mrs. Nellie Sommers Blackwell; this described the new organization as a small branch of the “tree” which supported the hospital.
In 1997, Alexandria Hospital joined the Inova Health Group to maintain a community based non-profit service. The Twig and Inova Alexandria Hospital both have grown along with the city of Alexandria. Throughout the years, the Twig has remained true to the goals of its charter members by helping the hospital provide the highest quality medical service. Today’s members carry on that tradition of community support, having raised over $3.8 million for hospital programs and equipment.
Our current $1 million pledge will help the hospital renovate the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit (CVICU) with infrastructure upgrades, state-of-the-art clinical space, private patient rooms and aesthetically pleasing surroundings with space for families, patients and caregivers. The CVICU renovations also call for increasing patient room size, including private showers and bathrooms; space for family with room to sleep; and more functional space for nurses.
To read about our prior pledges click here