For immediate release: July 13, 2018
In January 2018, the Department of Planning and Zoning launched a community planning process for the Route 1 South Housing Affordability Strategy in partnership with the Office of Housing and the Department of Transportation and Environmental Services, and with grant support from the Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA). The Strategy provides tools for retaining the neighborhood’s 215 existing committed affordable units and the deep levels of affordability they offer; strategies to incorporate safe streets for all within the neighborhood, specifically on Route 1; and strategies toward strengthening the character and identity of the neighborhood, including its gateway area, through the potential long-term redevelopment of commercial sites along Route 1, south of Gibbon Street.
Community members provided feedback on the June 4 working draft document through June 28, which informed the July 13 revised draft document. The community is now invited to review and comment on the July 13 revised draft Strategy document, available on the project web page. Comments received by Friday, August 17 will inform the final draft to be presented to the Planning Commission and City Council in September.
Options for reviewing and providing feedback on the revised working draft Strategy include the following:
- Comment using AlexEngage – the City’s online engagement forum – between today and August 17
- Call or email Ashley Labadie, Urban Planner, 703.746.3801 or Tamara Jovovic, Office of Housing, 703.746.3097
- Attend informal round table discussions on Tuesday, July 24 from 7-9 p.m., location TBD or Thursday, August 9 from 7-9 p.m., location TBD
- Review and comment in person on hard copies provided at the following locations:
- Lee Center, 1108 Jefferson Street
- Abyssinia Mart, 720 Jefferson Street
- Heritage Apartments management office, 431 S. Columbus Street
- Olde Towne West Apartments management office, 500 S. Alfred Street
The City of Alexandria is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended. To request a reasonable accommodation, email email@example.com or call 703.746.3808, Virginia Relay 711.