Major Metrorail Track Work on Blue, Orange and Silver Metrorail Lines Will Impact Service August 11-26
Major round-the-clock Metrorail track work from August 11 to 26 will impact Blue, Orange and Silver line service. The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) is encouraging users of the Blue, Orange, and Silver lines to prepare for delays. Alexandria users of the affected lines should consider using the Yellow Line when possible seeking alternate transportation.
The 16-day project will rebuild the track infrastructure between the McPherson Square and Smithsonian Metrorail stations.
During the work:
- Blue Line trains will only run between Franconia-Springfield and Arlington Cemetery—Metrorail users traveling between Virginia and Downtown DC, should use the Yellow Line instead
- Orange and Silver lines will be single tracking between McPherson Square and Smithsonian stations
- Farragut West and McPherson Square Metrorail stations, as well as the lower level platform (serving Blue, Orange, and Silver lines) at Metro Center will close for weekend work (August 11-12 and 25-26)
- Rush Hour Promise will not be in effect for trips on the Blue, Orange or Silver lines
- Crews will work on each track for approximately one week at a time so that single-track service can be maintained
WMATA suggests the following alternative travel routes during the work period:
- If you travel between Virginia and Downtown DC, use the Yellow Line
- If you travel between the Rosslyn and Pentagon stations, use the Yellow Line and transfer to/from the Orange or Silver lines at L’Enfant Plaza
- Consider using Red, Yellow or Green Line stations that may be within walking distance of your destination
- If you park and ride from Orange and Silver line stations in Virginia, consider using other county or Yellow/Blue line Park & Ride facilities
- Orange, Blue and Silver line riders from Virginia may consider riding select trains on the VRE Manassas Line (via Burke Center) or VRE Fredericksburg Line (via Franconia Springfield or Alexandria) to Crystal City, L’Enfant Plaza or Union Station
For additional information, including a system map reflecting service during this work, visit wmata.com/rebuild or call Metro Customer Service at 202.637.7000.
The image shown is a partial image of Metro’s system map, for the complete image click the link in the article.